Tuesday, February 21, 2006

UC sucks

I hate that I was home schooled. Why do schools not acknowledge the fact that I went to school just like everyone else? Why do I have to do everything different just because I was home schooled?

I love school and I really want to go (shocking coming from me). But every time I check in with school there is something else I have to do. I am half way done with this quarter and they are telling me that I am not “enrolled”. Well how can that be? I am taking classes and I have already paid you and I have filled out an application and paid you yet again for that… what else do you want me to do?

As you can tell I had a very bad day at school this morning. I wish I could say that this doesn’t bother me but it really does. I have never wanted some thing so bad that little things keep getting in my way.

One of the main reasons I picked Raymond Walters was because they didn’t need an ACT score from me (which was good because I never took the ACT or SAT). They told me from the beginning that I wouldn’t need to take the ACT as long as I took the placement test. Yeah! That’s what I was looking for. But now they are telling me that in order to finish my application process I have to either take the ACT or SAT or I have to go through this interview process, where they need a detailed description of the curriculum that I used and a narrative of my home school experience and then an interview with the director of enrollment.

Sounds simple you think right? NOT!

I don’t want to take the ACT. In order to get into nursing I have to get a 17. I know that should be easy, but to me its not. And maybe it’s just me. Maybe I put a lot of pressure on myself? Maybe I am scarred to fail? I’ve said this before but big test scare me! I get myself so worked up that I freak myself out and then I just go crazy. But maybe I am not the person that I was two years ago? Maybe in some weird way I have changed? Maybe I can do this? Maybe… (see the whole no confidence in me thing)

I mean there are a lot more benefits to taking the ACT: 1) if I ever wanted to go to a different school it would be a lot easier to go to because I would have taken the ACT.
Okay maybe that’s the only one… but that’s a pretty big benefit. If I did the interview it would only be for that school… what if years down the road I lived some where else and wanted to go get my masters or something else… what would happen if I didn’t have my ACT scores?

Why couldn’t I have been told all this months ago when I applied!!!!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

i feel your pain kalla. As someone who was homeschooled and went/goes to ray's place. Now, I never had this problem, because I forsaw it coming and got everything in writting before hand. I also took my SAT, ACT, and GED in case I ever needed them.

My sister had the same issues. Your mom or dad should have a complete list of the stuff they taught you in school. (they had to submit it to the state of ohio every year) I used that. and had no problems after the first quarter. Having a lawyer on speed-dial also helps to push the process along. If you need any more hint, just let me know.

Anonymous said...

i wish they had told you sooner, too. college administrations are just like that sometimes, i'm afraid. i'm irritated for you.

i found the standardized tests pretty scary when i was a high school student. but i know you can do well on them, should you choose that route (i'm not saying this one's the best, do what you think is best). you're talented and a quick study (and there's all sorts of study guides and practice tests available, and that sort of thing is what's needed to do well in these tests, with preparation, it's not too bad, as scary as it may be). look at how you got your current job, how you did at your last job... you're good at learning. and this isn't really that different. fear not, chica. i believe in you... God believes in you...

Jamie said...

Maybe it's better you didn't know about this whole mess, before you started.. because you may not have started.. I know 17 sounds like a huge score on the ACT, but believe me, it's not.. you can do it! You'll surprise yourself.. The ACT practice software is really good too.. You can do it!!

Justin said...

Kalla,

You'll get a 17 in your sleep. Seriously...you'll laugh when you see your score....you're very smart, and you'll get a 17 in your sleep.

So sleep, and then get a 17.

Peace,
Justin