Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Daddy's little girl

I don’t think growing up I would have ever have called myself daddy’s little girl, but today I do.

My dad has shown me so much through out my life not only has he been a father, but he’s been a teacher and a friend. My dad has taught me everything I need to know about school, life, cars ;), boys, sex (my roommates will laugh), and most importantly about God.

I remember wanting to go places with my dad because we would have conversations about anything. He would dream about stuff and we would tell him how cool that sounds. There was always something breaking down in our house or cars, and I was always right there lending him a hand. It sounds dumb, but I would do anything to spend time with my dad.

Let’s just say from the beginning I was the difficult child. When I was a baby I never wanted to go to bed (that hasn’t changed today) and I would scream whenever they left the room. One night my dad thought he would be clever and put me in my crib slowly and duck down so I couldn’t see him and maybe I would go to sleep. So when I wasn’t crying (or I had stopped crying) he looked up only to find me looking right down at him. I was the smarter one or I just really enjoyed my dad!

Every night before we would go to bed he would pray with us (I say us because I shared a room with my sister or sisters) sing to us and sometimes read books. And half the time we would always have to wake him up because half way through singing he would fall asleep… but I didn’t care.

I was the one out of all four of us kids to get in trouble the most…or I just caused the most trouble…but every time my dad would spank us and then send us to our room after he calmed down and gave us sometime to think about what we did (or just to vent a lot) he would come up to “talk” to us. (I always hated those times as a kid, because I knew I would have to admit what I did and apologize) But then he would come talk to us, tell us why he spanked us and then the last thing he would do was tell us how much he loved us. No matter what I did or how angry he got, when a dad tells you how much he loves you you forget everything. The spanking that you got (that you thought was totally unfair) all goes away.

When I was home schooled and having trouble with my math or something (it always seemed like it was math) he would always tell me two things about math. 1) Write everything out, don’t do it in your head because you will mess things up that way (and I did) and 2) Always double check your work. I always heard him when he said that. But I never really wanted to put those into practice because that meant it would take longer. But Dad, I heard you and I am putting that into practice now! As kids we always hear what the parents say right? We just don’t always do what you say! J

Not that I am older I think I have grown to appreciate my dad and love him so much more. We meet every week for lunch. And it’s the best hour of my week. It feels like I am finally at a point where I can tell my dad a lot of things. I can talk about what is really going on in my life and let him know what God is doing with me. And when anything is seriously wrong with my car or life I know that I can always call him…which I normally do.

But the most important thing that my dad has taught me is to love God through everything. I would say my family has had its ups and downs but my Dad has been the example of faith through out it all.

My Dad is a loving and compassionate man. He is determined and sometimes successful! He is the most loving man that I know!

Thanks Dad for always being there for me through everything. Thank you for always being my support. I LOVE YOU!!!!!

2 comments:

Mark said...

Kalla,

I love you too! Thanks for the kind words.

Dad

stinkowoman said...

I am a daddy's girl, too!!!!