Thursday, December 15, 2005

Scrooge?


I know this is going to sound bad… but I don’t really like Christmas. I love celebrating Jesus’ birth but how did we get to celebrating Christmas with Santa Clause and gifts and lights?

I grew up not believing in Santa Clause. I don’t think my parents ever told us there wasn’t but they never told us there was one either. We always knew why we celebrated Christmas because of Jesus’ Birth. It’s never been a tradition but every year I remember my dad reading the story of Jesus’ birth before we would open gifts.

I mean who really thinks about Jesus’ birth while they are out shopping? Or while they are putting up the Christmas tree? Or decorating the house? I just think we miss the meaning of Christmas so much. What if we didn’t give gifts one year? What if we went out on Christmas day downtown and handed out hot chocolate or breakfast or something to all those people who are alone at Christmas?

I love my family and I love spending time with that but that is one time I hate spending with them. This year will be different, but normally our Christmas would consist of waking up at 6:00am (some ungodly hour) taking an hour or two to open gifts and then mom making lunch, everyone eating lunch, and then everyone going there separate ways.

Growing up and being home schooled I spent everyday at home with my family. I didn’t and don’t want to spend more time with my family on holidays. I am guessing it might be different for you. Holiday’s were special days because you did stay at home and spent it with your family. Holidays were bad for me because I stayed home and had to spend it with my family. (I know that might sound bad like I don’t love my family…but I really do you just have to understand that for 8 years I spent everyday at home with my family)

Okay back to the point. We decorate the house, put up a Christmas tree, put up lights, and buy gifts for what? Just to take them down in three weeks? Just to spend a whole lot of money to buy gifts for family and friends? I mean we all do this and come the 26th of December the lights come down, the trees get put back in boxes or thrown out side, sometimes gifts get forgotten. Its like Christmas never happened.

Maybe I am just being a Scrooge?

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I too have grown to hate this season. I hate the shopping, the fakely joyful people, and everything christmas has come to represent. We don't do all these "seasonal" things for easter, and by all accounts easter is a far more important holiday.

My fireds always try and point out that chirstmas lights and trees and gifts has all these symbolic meanings about christs love and stuff. I sometimes wonder which came first. The idea to remmeber these aspects of God or as an excuse to promote them to the religious population.

Steve Fuller said...

Wow. This is one of the saddest things I have ever read. Christmas is about Jesus, yes...but every day is about Jesus. Christmas is about being a kid again - and I don't think there is anything more holy than becoming like children. Whether it's sledding in the snow, listening to Christmas songs, drinking hot chocolate by the fire, or tearing through wrapping paper on Christmas morning, this is a time to reflect on what really matters in life - joy, serving, family and friends. Yes, the season is brief (and seems to get briefer as I get older), but it's not about December 26th, it's about today. Life eventually ends too, but that doesn't mean we don't enjoy the ride while we're here.

Parents can do whatever they want - that is their business, but this is why I can't wait to celebrate all of Christmas with my kids - presents, candy canes, stockings, snow days, and yes, even believing in Santa.

I don't need a special day to remind me what Jesus has done in my life, but it does seem like I need Christmas to remind me to be a kid again. And I'm not going to let anyone make me feel guilty for that.

Merry Christmas Kalla.

Anonymous said...

wow, kalla, i think our parents must have been taking notes from each other (between santa and halloween). :) i didn't grow up believing in santa either (the logic was that they didn't want to set us up for a disappointment later on after finding out he didn't exist, i don't entirely disagree with that). it seems like we still had a lot of fun christmas memories, especially when we were small. as we've gotten older, and especially after we've spread out and gone away to school and stuff like that, it's been a bit harder to nail down some traditions for the immediate family, since early on it always centered around travelling to see the extended family, and yes, presents (we got picky with age, so the folks give us money now, guaranteed to please, especially with after-christmas deals, but taking a little *umph* out of christmas morning without having other traditions to replace it). we grew up knowing the real meaning of christmas and acknowleding that, but it wasn't a pivotal part of family tradition. similarly to halloween, i feel like i'm trying to figure out what my own traditions will be. i don't want it to be 'thanksgiving 2, this time with presents and lights and stuff'. i think getting out and seeing what other people do to observe the season has been (and continues to be) really helpful in celebrating the season.

anyway, thanks for posting your thoughts. i think a lot of people struggle with the holidays but feel guilty for it. so your realness about that is appreciated. :)

Lucid Magazine said...

I agree that I cannot stand the superficiality of the season either. It is the one time all year when people who cannot get along pretend to and buy each other gifts. Moreover, there is pressure to have the "perfect family Christmas". This year, I am leaving town and going on a road trip until it is over.
So am I scrooge too. I was thinking that when walking through Kenwood mall. I went to get a gift for my favorite person, me! (Just joking, my ipod needed replacing). Remember I can always explain any bias I have as a cultural difference. Lost in translation!

agirloutthere said...

Just think on this for a moment...

A few years ago a friend of ours stopped by the house and gave me a roll opened but unused wrapping paper. She thought we might be able to use it. She couldn't because the paper was too Christian for her Christmas gifts (I think it said "Noel"). Hmmm?? Christmas wrapping paper being too Christian.

I also find it interesting, all the people who shun Jesus one moment, but then get upset if Christmas lands on a weekend (no extra day off for the birth of the man they don't like).

Liked the post Kalla; really enjoyed the follow up comments.

Merry Christmas!!!!

stinkowoman said...

Your community will try to make this your best Christmas ever. Love ya, sis!

Misty said...

I just stummbled apon this sight but am very glad I Did. Christmas For me is not just about the 25th but the Whole Season, family, love,And Shraing what we believe in. I Grew up belvieveing in Santa and I Intend on passing him on to my childeren.It Makes me very sad for those who have a hard time with thier christmas spirit. There is NOTHING fake about my christmas Spirtit. I hope ALL of you can someday find yours!

Merry Christmas:)

Anonymous said...

Beliving in santa isnt about getting presents its about beliving in somthing magical.taking that away from children is just mean.I grew up beliving in santa and enjoyed it very much while it lasted.