Thursday, October 27, 2005

My phobia

I hate school. Not the work but the actually buildings. They scare me and I can’t really tell you why. I really wanted to go see one of my friends Orchestra concerts once and I did. But I sat in my car for 15 minutes before we went in because I was so scared. I think I seriously have a phobia of schools… what would you call that?

As most of you know I am getting ready to go to college (yeah schools freak me out, colleges are worse) and I needed to find out some stuff about enrolling. So my nice older brother thought it would be a good idea if we went to the school. WHAT? Go to the school? Are you crazy? He was laughing at me just like everyone else does. As we were driving I was really nervous and scared. What could happen? I don’t know. When we got there I was sweating and my hands were sweating and I was playing with my keys inside my jacket because I was so nervous. Nobody can understand and I don’t expect people too. It’s just a fear that I need to get over.

Recently I had to go back to that school to take a test and this time I had to go by myself. I was so scared. And this time it was because two things, one I had to go to the school and two I had to take a test. After I walked into the building my fear of the school went away but not my fear of talking the test. I had to be there at 5:45 to fill out papers and the test started at 6:00. I knew what classroom it was but I wasn’t for sure where it was located. I found it pretty easy. So I was there ten minutes early waiting with everyone else outside the class for the teacher to show. I tried to play a game on my phone to keep my mind off of the test… worked for a little.

I don’t know why I get so scared about test but I have a good idea... Being home schooled. The only major test I ever took when I was in school at the end of the year called an Iowa Basic Test. What scared me about this test that I had to take was I had to write and essay. :-O! Now I know I write on here a lot but it is very different. I don’t read and comprehend things very well and that’s what they were asking me to do. Read an article and then write what I thought about it.

I guess I hate home schooling so much because people never saw it as being legit.
People make fun of the fact that I was home schooled. I couldn’t help the fact that I was home schooled, I had no choice, so don’t judge me or make fun of me! I didn’t like home schooling and I can make fun of it all I want but please don’t make fun of me because of a decision I couldn’t not control. I wanted to go back to school every year but I had no choice the control was out of my hands. There are people who were jealous of me because I was home schooled and then there were people who were mean because they didn’t think home schooling was “school.” But what defines school?

I can certainly say that I did what I needed to graduate. Maybe I didn’t have to do projects or write papers all the time but I think I did all that I needed to do.

I feel very unprepared for the journey that is coming. I am very excited for school but very scared. I don’t know how to do projects. I’ve never really had to do any. I don’t write papers very well. I don’t think I have ever really studied. I don’t know what it is like to be taught or have a teacher. You can say that my mom was my teacher but when it really came down to it, all she did was grade my stuff.

I don’t expect all this to be easy, I actually expect it to be very difficult and challenging. But I am ready! I am ready to be challenged and I’m ready to grow.
I don’t even know what any of this is going to look like… I am just following Him.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

one of the things i loved most about college was the opportunity to start fresh... you get to choose whether or not you will walk in carrying your past experiences, both the blessings and the hardships, successes and failures. and you will meet all sorts of people who won't know your history and therefore can't judge you by that. it's pretty awesome. so when you walk into the classroom to attend classes, i think you'll be ok. past fears don't have to hold you back in the present.

i'm so glad to get this inside peek at your journey!

Anonymous said...

I understand the feelings you have. I was homeschooled all the way though HighSchool, then I went to college. It was a huge transistion, with due dates, real homework, research and projects. It was so daunting at first but I caught on really fast. I am sure you will as well. The biggest difference in going from HomeSchooling to College was the culture. It can be a huge culture shock at first. I am sure that would not be an issue for you at all though.

stinkowoman said...

Hey, sista... help is just on the other side of the wall!!