Sunday, July 31, 2005

Image of God

Do you ever feel like you have nothing to offer? Do you ever feel like nobody loves you? Do you ever wonder what the hell am I here for? Well I don't know about you but I think about those things all the time. I feel like I am just wasting space here. I am not someone that is perfect so what's the purpose of me being here. What do I do everyday that makes a difference? How about love? I constantly feel like I give more than I receive. How do you just keep giving and giving? Isn't there a time when your giving just runs out? Where do you fill up? I don't mind giving...I actually love to give...But there are times when I am just like screw it Where's mine? Why do I have to keep giving? What the hell is in it for me?

I am a giver. I love to give. I love to do things for people without them knowing...I love to do things for people when they know. It's part of who I am. But recently I have been tired of it. Why am I tired of giving when I love to do it? When its part of who I am?

Last night I was thinking about this because it was really bothering me and I realized that in the past couple of days I haven't spent much time with God. I mean I talked to him here and there but actually sitting down and spending some one and one time with him, I hadn't done in a couple of days. And I think that my giving comes from God. I think that if God wasn't in my life I wouldn't be a giver. I would be a selfish receiver. I think God makes us who we are (obviously). No but I being serious in God makes us like himself. He creates us to be images of him. My image is giving. I can't think of a time when God was all about himself. He let his Son die on the cross for us!!! Who in the world would do that for you? I don't know if I could let my son (if I had one) die on the cross for other people. There is nothing that God wouldn't give me (I am being reasonable here.) He has given me everything I need...A place to live...A job...Clothes to wear...Friends...A car. He has provided me with all I need.

So how are you an image of God?

4 comments:

kevin said...

WOW. Thats how I feel Every day of my life almost. My mom would call it depression but I call it being humin. You've probably heard this before, but when you don't feel like giving or get tired of it, that's when you really need to. I have to remind myself of that sometimes.

Anonymous said...

i think one major way women in particular reflect the image of God is beauty (yes, this is an eldredgism, not one of my original thoughts :)). and reading this, i thought, 'gee, this post is beautiful. and kalla's beautiful!'

i'm definitely learning that sometimes we need a bit of 'time out' in order to refocus and not burn out and really remember how incredible God is...

Marsha said...

It really is amazing how quickly we can become burnt out by offering out even our God-given gifts when we aren't staying as plugged into the One who keeps replenishing them. This seems to be a lesson that I have to re-learn every now and again. Thanks for keeping me thinking about it so that maybe the next time I have to learn it the hard way will be a little longer in coming...

agirloutthere said...

So have you spent more time with God in the past few days? I find it fascinating and frustrating that each of us can feel so alone and isolated, but when we share with each other we are so readily connected. Why don't people share with each other more often? The gal at the cubicle across from you is aching for friendship just as much. Why can't we see that? Thanks for Simply Stating your thoughts here. I know a couple of us are connecting.