Saturday, January 28, 2006

Smoking

I have to write a paper for school arguing one of two papers and after I have read both I am stuck.

One paper is about a lady who is 52 and has been smoking since she was 26. She talks about how people treat her because she is a smoker. She believes that all people hate her because she smokes. She said, “Smokist don’t hate the sin, they hate the sinner, and they don’t care who knows it.” I don’t hate the “sinner.” It’s not about the “sinner”; it’s about the “sin” and what it does to your body. She goes on to talk about how society views smokers…

The other paper is against smoking and how we should do everything we can to stop people from smoking and the affects of cancer. But it is very forward, very harsh to me.

I am torn because I have no idea what to argue, on one hand I understand and agree with the second paper. I don’t think people should smoke. I have seen the affects of what smoking can do to a person. But at the same time I can understand what the first one is talking about too. Since she was born her mom smoked. She knows nothing wrong with it. And she lives in a culture where we aren’t afraid to speak up.

I am not for smoking at all. I don’t like it. I think it’s a bad habit and gross. But it’s not my right to tell someone not to. I can only tell you what I think of it.

So how do I argue one of those…

I guess I kind of answered my own question.

3 comments:

stinkowoman said...

But if you start smoking, I'm going to kick your butt. No offense.

sheplaysamartin said...

i'm sitting next to lori. i just played frozen ninjas with her. i'd believe her if i were you...

ew. smoking. :)

Anonymous said...

pick the side that you have feeling or an opinion about. Something you feel pasionate about. Then let the flow begin.