Monday, October 24, 2005

The comfortable state

Sometimes we just get too comfortable in our current state. But are you happy in that state?

I’m not happy with just being comfortable. I’m not happy with just trying to get by with what I am doing day to day. I want to learn and have adventure in my life. I want to grab a hold of my life not hold its finger. I want excitement, frustration, and stress (yes I am crazy.)

This week I have been house sitting in West Chester and its beautiful there. I love it there…but its comfortable there. I grew up around there. I am comfortable and familiar there and that’s the problem.

I just don’t want to get too comfortable with my life that I forget about God. And I think that’s what happens sometimes to all of us. We get so comfortable working 9-5 and then going home eating dinner, talking with our family and then off to bed. Where is the excitement? We get stuck in these routines. I get up at the exact time each day. I take a shower a certain way each day. I get dressed before I blow-dry my hair. I start work off the same way every day…all because it’s comfortable. Heaven forbid we get off our asses and do something completely different tomorrow!

Just don’t get to comfortable with your life like I have.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was just talking to a friend about that saturday night... I have to do the same things every week and I think it's great when something gets added in or changed a little. An example of my monthly routine is at every beginning of each month, I pay my bills and save the rest of my money for gas and food. But I sometimes wonder what it would be like to scramble for money sometimes to pay rent, or to not know where im going to get my next meal from. I dont my mind doesnt want to be there but i know that i cant keep living how i am now. Right now im looking for a change in my life and I dont know what is going to happen...

Kalla said...

Just don't be afraid of change or risk. We have to be willing for things to get uncomfortable and it sounds like you are there...just don't be scared!

Anonymous said...

I want to grab a hold of my life not hold its finger.

that was great writing, kalla! so what is it that keeps you in routine mode and out of adventure? i think sometimes i stay so busy trying to maintain the comforts produced by routine that i don't make time for the adventure... (and as i write, even 'making time for the adventure' sounds like an oxymoron.) i agree that we do have to be willing to risk some comfort in order to experience the adventure before us...

Kalla said...

what keeps me from adventure? Is being comfortable...knowing whats not going to happen...
But what I am beginning to realize is thats not all that fun. Its really boring to know whats coming... Like surprise parties! I love them because you don't know you are getting one...haha SURPRISE! You don't know what is going to happen, your just along for the ride.
But I think so many of us (me included) just get off the ride and we miss out on a good time because we are scared or we don't trust anyone.