Sunday, August 14, 2005

Restore

The other day my dad sent me a link to a website that sells Christian music... I was a little hesitant but my dad has a pretty good taste in music for being old... :)... So I went and downloaded a whole bunch of new songs from artist I had never heard and to my surprise I have really enjoyed them. But one song has stuck out to me.
It's a song called Restore by Grandprize.

-----------------------------------------------------------
I think about why You died
The pain You felt the hurt inside
You did it all so I could see
Just how much You love me
So why do I struggle today
To live for You in everyway?

Restore, Restore the love I had before
Restore, Restore for itÂ’s You I adore

ItÂ’s Your love and itÂ’s Your grace
That always takes me to the place
A real change within my heart
Oh how I long for a brand new start
So why do I struggle today to
Live for You in everyway?

For You redeemed my soul
You alone make me whole

Restore, Restore the love I had before
Restore, Restore my love for You Lord
Restore, Restore for itÂ’s You I adore
------------------------------------------------------

I struggle everyday to live with you in everyway. Restore restore my love for you Lord.

This past week has been filled a lot what takes hold of my life. What do I live for each day? What has my attention every single minute of every single day. What issues do I have in my life? What am I not good at. What do I do best. You know all that stuff.

There is a song called Surrender by Marc JamA lotAlot of you have probably heard it. "And I Surrender all to you all you..." Everytime I hear that song or I sing that song I feel bad. Because everytime I sing that song I tell myself, I tell God, "I surrender everything to you...my relationships, my friends, my job, my family, my dreams, my life." That is a great thing that I can surrender everything to God, that'shats the thing...I don't. The next time I hear that song I get the same feeling and I say the same prayer. And I am and was sick of that.

I am a very visual person. I like when speakers demonstrationions or movie clips. It helps me to relate or understand. So the other day I made a decision. I want to lay everything tIat i struggle with down at God's feet... I want it out of my hands... I want to quit holding on to things that don't matter... I want to start living everyday for him with everything that I have. I don't know about you but sometimes just saying things for me doesnecessarilyarly mean anything. I knew that if I really wanted to give all this stuff to God that I was going to have to do something. So I wrote down all my struggles on a sheet of paperOne one struggle on each sheet. I then went outside and burned each sheet. Before I burned a sheet I would pray about that struggle and why is has been a struggle for me. On each sheet I wrote "I am letting go of:" and as I burned the paper I would say "I am letting go of..." Yes it was a simple act but to me it was a hugh act. I haven't felt this weightless in a really really long time.

I am not saying that I won't struggle with any of those things ever again but what I am saying is that I am not going to hold on to any of those struggles anymore. I think that when we hold on to our struggles or junk we don't allow God to work in our lives. When we are free of all that junk we allow God to do so much more in our lives. We (I know I am) are more aware of what God is doing in and around me.

Father restore my heart for you.
Restore my life.
Father help me to continue to lay down everything at your feet.

2 comments:

stinkowoman said...

So for you, it's not "what is in your hands," but "what have you taken out of your hands?"

Justin said...

Kalla,

True surrender strikes me as distinctly counter-human. At least, whatever it is that post-Fall humanity has become. Ours seems to be culture that encourages relentless inviduality...you fight to have what you have, and to keep what you are. So, it's no surprise that we struggle so hugely with surrender.

I struggle with it in a big way. I wish I could say that I have hit my knees with scraps of paper and a lighter...but I haven't even done that. To me, God is often my Santa, my psychologist, and my Invisible Fence, but rarely my Lord. I would guess that I've reached a point of true surrender AT VERY MOST half a dozen times in my life, and those were short-lived. I applaud your physical symbolic act of surrender, and I hope that you have more luck than I have.

Peace,
Justin